Being righteous in money matters. Genesis 14:22,23: Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have sworn to the Lord God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth that I will not take a thread or a sandal thong or anything that is yours, for fear you would say, ‘I have made Abram rich’. Hebrews 13:5: Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU.” 2 Kings 5:16: Elisha’s attitude when offered money. Elisha said “As the Lord lives before whom I stand, I will take nothing.” 2 Kings 5:20-27: Gehazi’s love of money, lying and its consequences.
5 practical principles in money matters:
1. Be reasonable and fair. Be large hearted.
James 5:4: Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.
2. Remember what we have borrowed from others and return it. Psalms 37:21: The wicked borrows and does not pay back, righteous is gracious and gives.
3. Pay taxes. Jesus said, what is due to Ceasar, give to Ceasar and what is due to God, to God. Render to whom tax is due.
4. Do not accept bribe. Exodus 23:8: You shall not take a bribe for a bribe blinds the clear-sighted and subverts the cause of the just.
5. Do not seek to take advantage of other believers to save money. 1 Tim 6:2: Those who have believers as their masters must not be disrespectful to them because they are brethren, but must serve them all the more, because those who partake of the benefit are believers and beloved. Teach and preach these principles. Luke 19:7-10: Zaccheus’ attitude to money.
Being open before God and having an attitude of returning everything that does not belong to me at the first opportunity. Matthew 19:23,26: And Jesus said to His disciples, “Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, “Then who can be saved?” And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
God is not foremost but money in our lives. Jeremiah 23:23,24: “Am I a God who is near,” declares the LORD, “And not a God far off? “Can a man hide himself in hiding places So I do not see him?” declares the LORD. “Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?” declares the LORD. Seeking the things of God and not of the earth.
Titus 2:9,10: Urge bondslaves to be subject to their masters in everything to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering but showing all good faith.
Matthew 5:16: Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven. God gives us the attitude to give back. Psalms 128:1: Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord who walks in His ways.